Friday, September 17, 2010

No, It's Not the Apocalypse--the Buckeyes are Playing or What Every Ohio Woman Knows

Part One (as I am aware that tomorrow is Game Day)

As of late social scientists, anthropologists, psychologists and the woman who wrote that ballsy article for The Atlantic in July called “The End of Men” have recently begun to speculate what the world would look like if there were no men.

Well, I’ve got news for you, sweethearts: you are—so to speak--a bit late to the game.

Any female living in Ohio, myself included, has been witnessing this sudden—if temporary—disappearance of men every autumn Saturday since the day we were born. Officially, the weekly phenomenon is called “The Buckeyes are Playing.” This, interestingly enough, is also a handy phrase that can explain away all sort of otherwise inexplicable activity and unacceptable behavior among carriers of the Y chromosome.*

I am aware that women who are not natives of Ohio may think I am exaggerating or writing in jest. Their naïveté only leads to pointless anxiety.

Case in point:

Frantic text from non-indoctrinated woman (an East Coast native who at the time was dating my brother**) on what she perceived to be an idle Saturday afternoon: “OMG,M! Have you heard from your brother? Is he OK? Is he dead? I haven’t heard from him in like three hours and he hasn’t returned any of my 15 phone calls.”

Calm, if somewhat condescending, text from me: “GF, the Buckeyes are playing.”

Final frantic text from same non-indoctrinated woman to my brother after the fifteen phone calls: “WTF?”

Calm, if somewhat condescending, text from my brother: “GF, the Buckeyes are playing.”

It should be noted here as well for the non-indoctrinated woman that close cousins to the response “The Buckeyes are playing” include “The Buckeyes lost,” as in “GF, why is your living room wall punched in?” or “Why did I see Andy standing on the bridge alone crying hysterically Sunday morning?” and “The Buckeyes Won,” as in “Wow, GF, so you’re telling me that Andy just woke up this morning, went out and bought you a new car filled with 24 dozen roses?” or “GF, was I imagining things or was that Andy passing out chocolate bars and free beer in Ohio City last Sunday morning?”

Take home lesson: Sunday behavior among Ohio boys is determined by Saturday’s final score. As someone wiser in this matter, I suggest to women everywhere who are dating or married to Ohio boys that if the Buckeyes lose, just bake your man brownies (No peanut butter in the batter! No need to rub it in his face!--I'll explain in next post) and don’t take his bridge strolling too seriously (there are after all, only six more days until possible redemption at this point). If Ohio State wins, on the other hand, the following Sunday would be the time to tell him that after much thought you think the eggshell white he used to paint the entire interior of the house last week is maybe just a tad not white enough and you’d really like to see it---pleeeeease, baby--redone in porcelain white.

*as near to impossible as I find this to understand, some Ohio women I know seem to disappear and otherwise act strangely during football season as well. When confronted, they initially exhibit symptoms of the nonchalant and somewhat defeatist "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality. It quickly becomes apparent though that faking interest in OSU sports is a slippery slope. Within weeks, women who were once perfectly sensible have been seen sporting red mesh football jerseys and spouting off statistics with a thoroughness formerly reserved for counting carbs.

**I have witnessed my brother's fanaticism first hand on many occasions. He is part of an elite sect which takes vows of week-long silence following a loss.

6 comments:

Lincoln said...

I'm afraid you need to narrow the genetic basis a bit more than just the chromosome: Perhaps a localized genetic mutation to the Y chromosome (hey, at one point the Cuyahoga was polluted enough...)

This Y carrier, imported from lands afar, for example is perplexed both by the rules of football, and what it seems like everyone -- XX and XY -- finds so compelling. But. Sigh. The Buckeyes are Playing.

Lincoln said...

M, could you confirm that the following is also a symptom:

While walking through University Circle today two people randomly screamed "O H" in my direction; people on the other side yelled back "I O". This repeated a few times, involving different people.

Please tell me that there is logic behind this and that it is not a symptom of a pandemic that causes people to randomly announce pairs of letters from the alphabet.

Well...that depends... said...

Hahhahahah. Lincoln! Oh please don't tell me you have never been on the receiving end of an "O!H!"

Also please tell me you simply responded with an "I!O!" Logic has nothing to do with it. It's simply the best way to appease the fanatics and thus freeing yourself up to get on with your day. Sort of like swatting a fly that is honing in on your banana split.

Well...that depends... said...

Hahhahahah. Lincoln! Oh please don't tell me you have never been on the receiving end of an "O!H!"

Also please tell me you simply responded with an "I!O!" Logic has nothing to do with it. It's simply the best way to appease the fanatics and thus freeing yourself up to get on with your day. Sort of like swatting a fly that is honing in on your banana split.

Well...that depends... said...

Hahhahahah. Lincoln! Oh please don't tell me you have never been on the receiving end of an "O!H!"

Also please tell me you simply responded with an "I!O!" Logic has nothing to do with it. It's simply the best way to appease the fanatics and thus freeing yourself up to get on with your day. Sort of like swatting a fly that is honing in on your banana split.

Lincoln said...

I hope you don't think any less of me, but nope, I've never been on the receiving end of an "O!H!"

I've read about the ancient greeting ritual of the natives, was unaware that its use in the present day extended beyond stadia and communal viewing environments.

The first time it was hurled in my direction, I just stood agape: Luckily having natives on all sides, the call was returned. On the subsequent invocations, I promptly responded "I!O!" for fear of being called an unfriendly...or worse, thought a Michigander.

You never want to upset the natives. Or the large furry things.